Voter Registration

Registration Before Election Day

Up to 21 days before election day, you can register online or with a paper registration form.
  • You can register online at the Minnesota Secretary of State's website if you have an email address and a Minnesota driver’s license or ID card or know the last four digits of your Social Security number.
  • If you can’t register online, you can use a paper registration form, which can be found at:
    • State, county or city offices and most libraries
    • The registrar’s office at most Minnesota colleges, universities and technical schools
    • Downloaded and printed from the Minnesota Secretary of State's website in 12 different languages
  • If you use a paper application, be sure to mail it to, or drop it off at, the office of your city clerk, county auditor, or the Secretary of State.
  • You can also register to vote by checking the appropriate box when you apply for, renew, or change your Minnesota driver’s license or ID card.

Election Day Registration at Polling Place

To register on election day, you must bring valid proof of identity and residence.
  • Category 1: An ID with your current name and address
    • A valid Minnesota driver’s license, permit or ID or a receipt for any of these.
    • A tribal ID with name, address, photo and signature.
  • Category 2: A photo ID plus a document with your current name and address.
    • Acceptable photo IDs (can be expired) are:
      •  A driver’s license, state ID or learner’s permit from any state,
      •  U.S. passport 
      •  U.S. military or veteran ID 
      •  Tribal ID with name, signature and photo
      •  Minnesota university, college or technical college ID
      •  Minnesota high school ID
    • Approved documents (which can be shown on an electronic device) are :
      • A  bill, account, or start of service statement due or dated 30 days of the election for phone, TV or internet; solid waste, sewer, gas, electric or water; banking or credit card; rent or mortgage
      • Residential lease or rent agreement valid through Election Day
      • Current student fee statement
  • Category 3: Other options
    • A registered voter from your precinct who must sign an oath confirming your address.
    • Valid registration in the same precinct. (Only used if you are already registered and have changed names or moved within the same precinct.)
    • Notice of Late Registration. If you registered to vote within 20 days of the election, you may receive a Notice of Late Registration; bring this to your polling place.
    • If you are a college student living on campus, your school will send the local election officials a student housing list. This plus your college photo ID will be needed to register.
    • If you live in a residential facility, a staff person can go with you to the polls and confirm your identity and address. The staff person must show their ID badge or be on a list of certified employees sent to local election officials.
If you change your name or address or fail to vote in 4 years, you will need to register again.