LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS EDINA POSITION
Alcohol and Tobacco Use
Adopted December 2014
LWVE supports the following as it relates to Alcohol, Tobacco, Other Drugs (ATOD) and E-cigarette use:
- Educational programs that support improved chemical health, including:
- Ongoing programs, especially in the middle and high school years.
- Regular continuing education for adult educators, coaches and school administrators.
- Alternatives to suspension for minor Alcohol, Tobacco, Other Drugs and e-cigarette violations in the schools.
- Youth-led and peer-to-peer education and prevention programs.
- Allocation of public funds for a community initiative to prevent illegal Alcohol, Tobacco, Other Drugs and e-cigarette use.
- Consistent city and school guidelines for adults who chaperone youth activities.
- City ordinances and law enforcement efforts designed to reduce underage Alcohol, Tobacco, Other Drugs and e-cigarette use.
- Legal system diversion alternatives, such as Youth Court, for low level Alcohol, Tobacco, Other Drugs and e-cigarette violations.