LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS EDINA POSITION
Use of Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs
Adopted 1997, Updated 2014 and 2020
LWVE supports the following as it relates to Alcohol, Tobacco, Other Drugs (ATOD), Vaping devices and E-cigarette use:
- Educational programs that support improved chemical health, including:
- Ongoing programs, especially in the middle and high school years.
- Regular continuing education for adult educators, coaches and school administrators.
- Alternatives to suspension for minor Alcohol, Tobacco, Other Drug, Vaping devices and e-cigarette violations in the schools.
- Youth-led and peer-to-peer education and prevention programs. Allocation of public funds for a community initiative to prevent illegal Alcohol, Tobacco, Other Drugs, Vaping devices and e-cigarette use.
- Consistent city and school guidelines for adults who chaperone youth activities.
- City ordinances and law enforcement efforts designed to reduce underage Alcohol, Tobacco, Other Drugs, Vaping devices and e-cigarette violations.
- Legal system diversion alternatives, such as Youth Court, for low level Alcohol, Tobacco, Other Drugs, Vaping devices and e-cigarette violations.